An Experiment in Wool

I decided to take some time off from my commission quilt to try a new technique that my friend Karen Rips showed me.  I pieced silk, hand dyed cotton and cheesecloth and laid it over 100% wool felt.  Then I stitched through all layers, washed it in hot hot water with a lot of agitation and threw it in the dryer to dry.

Sure enough, it shrank by about 1/3.  The cheesecloth faded in the wash, turning a purple color, so I didn’t add any stitches or embellishments because I didn’t care for the composition or the color combination.  But I plan to continue experimenting.  This has possibilities!

*Later*  I decided to keep torturing this piece by applying some surface paint.  First, I rolled on white acrylic with a brayer, then rolled on a layer of brown.  I think this could be a good background surface for something…

Before washing:

Before washing

After washing:

After

After surface painting:

wool-test-after2.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Archives

  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 8 other followers

  • %d bloggers like this: